Before taking the abortion pill, it is important to know what precautions to consider. The following information can help you make an informed health decision.
Where do I start with learning abortion pill precautions?
It’s important to know what the abortion pill is as you consider what precautions are involved. The abortion pill is sometimes called a chemical or medical abortion. It actually involves taking a series of two drugs: mifepristone and misoprostol. The first drug, mifepristone, terminates the pregnancy by blocking the hormone progesterone which nourishes the pregnancy. The second drug, misoprostol, induces cramping to expel the pregnancy from the uterus.
Do any pre-existing conditions prevent me from getting the abortion pill?
Many pre-existing conditions disqualify a woman from obtaining the abortion pill. These pre-existing conditions are “contraindications.” The Mayo Clinic lists over 200 drugs that are contraindications with the abortion pill. If you take any of these medications, inform a medical professional before you obtain the abortion pill.
The Mayo Clinic has also identified a number of physical conditions that may disqualify you from obtaining the abortion pill. Some of these pre-existing conditions include:
- History of abnormal vaginal bleeding
- Adrenal problems
- Ectopic pregnancy (an embryo implanted outside the uterus, often in fallopian tube)
- Endometrial hyperplasia (irregular thickening of the uterine lining)
- Heart failure
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Severe anemia
- Inability to clot properly
- Autoimmune disorders
- Lower abdominal mass, undiagnosed
- Kidney or liver disease
What precautions can I take before obtaining the abortion pill?
For your safety, it is important to obtain the information that a pregnancy screening will reveal. This includes a reliable pregnancy test. At Waterleaf, we offer no-cost medical-grade pregnancy tests.
Additionally, an ultrasound will reveal the following information that should be considered before determining whether a medical/chemical abortion is an option for you.
- The location of your pregnancy. If your pregnancy has implanted anywhere outside the uterus you could have an ectopic pregnancy. In this instance, you would be advised to seek immediate medical attention. The FDA specifically says the abortion pill “will not be effective to terminate an ectopic pregnancy.”
- The gestational age. Measuring the dimensions of the pregnancy determines the age of the pregnancy. The abortion pill can be dangerous to you if your pregnancy is farther along than you may think. The FDA approves of the abortion pill up to 70 days (10 weeks). Abortion pill risks, such as uterine rupture, therefore increase the farther along you are in your pregnancy. The ultrasound provides you with an accurate gestational age so you can make the best decision for you.
- The viability of your pregnancy. If a heartbeat cannot be detected, it is possible you may naturally miscarry. In this case, you would be advised to follow up with your physician, and you would avoid an unnecessary abortion procedure.
Another precaution to consider before taking the abortion pill is your blood’s “Rh Factor.” Because the presence of certain proteins in the blood determines whether a woman’s Rh Factor is positive or negative. If the blood of an Rh-positive fetus gets into the blood of an Rh-negative woman, her body will create antibodies to fight it. As a result, this could jeopardize a woman’s future pregnancies. To remedy this in advance, a woman can obtain a special shot called RHoGAM to offset the risk. Learn more about Rh Factor here or contact us to speak with a medical professional in-person or through a telehealth call.
Abortion pill reversal
After taking the first abortion pill, some women have changed their minds and continued their pregnancies through abortion pill reversal. Abortion pill reversal works by replacing the progesterone that was blocked by the first abortion pill, mifepristone. If you’ve taken the first abortion pill and changed your mind, do not take the second pills. Contact Waterleaf or the Abortion Pill Rescue hotline right away. They will help you at no cost, providing information about the abortion pill, the Abortion Pill Reversal process, and your options.
- Waterleaf – call or text 630-360-2256. All correspondence is completely confidential.
- or call the Abortion Pill Rescue hotline at 877-558-0333 for a medical provider in your area.
In conclusion, your health is important and you deserve accurate information about your body and pregnancy. To help you make an informed decision, we are here to help you in a judgement-free, confidential environment. You can speak to a licensed medical professional and have your questions answered. No insurance is required. Schedule a consultation, pregnancy test, or ultrasound today by calling/texting 630-360-2256 or contact us securely online.