If you think you may be pregnant and are considering using the abortion pill, there are some things you should know to protect yourself and any future pregnancies.
For instance, did you know that 85% of people have a positive blood type? That leaves only 15% of the population having a negative blood type. Why does it matter? It matters because the likelihood that a woman with a negative blood type might carry a child with a positive blood type are quite high. The consequences of this could be significant, but there are ways to address it.
What is blood type?
A blood type identifies a classification of blood based on whether or not there are certain substances on the surface of red blood cells. In addition to the classifications of A, B, AB, and O, the presence or absence of certain proteins on the surface of these same blood cells are called the “Rh Factor.” If the proteins are present on the red blood cells, your blood type is considered positive. If no protein is present, your blood type is negative.
Why should I know my blood type?
When the blood of an Rh-positive fetus gets into the blood of an Rh-negative woman, her body will recognize that it does not belong and will create antibodies to fight it. This is called being Rh-sensitized. Women with an Rh-negative blood type are in need of a special shot, called RHoGAM, any time there is a possibility that the fetus’s blood could mix with the mother’s blood, such as during:
- Ectopic pregnancy
- Chorionic villus sampling
- Abdominal trauma
RHoGAM works by inhibiting the woman’s body from creating antibodies against the fetus’s positive blood. Having this shot now is important for when you experience future pregnancy. Without the RHoGAM, the antibodies created in a woman’s body will remain in the bloodstream and can affect future pregnancy by causing hemolytic anemia, which can destroy red blood cells faster than the fetus can replace them, which can result in permanent disability or death in the fetus.
Not knowing your blood type and taking the abortion pill could therefore jeopardize any future pregnancies you may have.
What Should I Do if I’m Rh-negative and Have Had an Abortion?
If your pregnancy had Rh incompatibility, then -Rh-sensitization has likely already occurred and you should talk to your healthcare provider before getting pregnant again.
Schedule a Pregnancy Test and Ultrasound
We offer no-cost lab-quality pregnancy tests as well as ultrasounds here at Waterleaf Women’s Center. Ultrasound results will measure such factors as the location, gestational age, and viability of your pregnancy. Some abortion procedures are only available at certain stages of pregnancy. The ultrasound provides you with an accurate measurement so you can make the best, safe decision for you.
Schedule a safe, confidential, judgment free appointment at Waterleaf today by calling/texting 630-360-2256.