An unexpected pregnancy can be complicated if the couple disagrees on whether to have an abortion. If your girlfriend is considering abortion, read this article for tips and important medical information you both need to know.
Communicate with your girlfriend about abortion
If your girlfriend wants an abortion but you don’t, it’s important to understand each other’s emotions. What brought each of you to your perspective? Another thing to learn is any specific concern that she believes an abortion will fix. Psychologists speak of the importance of taking the time to listen. In addition, she may have underlying worries or concerns you may not have realized. Knowing her situation better can help you address any challenges she may have.
The importance of getting an ultrasound first
Encourage your girlfriend about the importance of obtaining an ultrasound. The information she will obtain from the ultrasound is important for her health. No matter what a pregnant woman is considering, the ultrasound will show:
- The location of her pregnancy. If her pregnancy has implanted anywhere outside the uterus she could have an ectopic pregnancy. In this situation, she would be advised to seek immediate medical attention. An untreated ectopic pregnancy could cause a rupture. When your girlfriend is considering taking the abortion pill, know that it could be especially dangerous to her if her pregnancy is ectopic. Additionally, the FDA warns the abortion pill “will not be effective to terminate an ectopic pregnancy.”
- The gestational age. This is determined by measuring the dimensions of the pregnancy. Knowing the gestational age of her pregnancy could affect your girlfriend’s decision. Different abortion procedures are only available through certain gestational ages.
- The viability of her pregnancy. If a heartbeat cannot be detected, it is possible she may naturally miscarry. In this case, she would be advised to follow up with her physician, and she would avoid an unnecessary abortion procedure.
Abortion risks and side effects for your girlfriend
Abortion is a serious procedure. Therefore, it’s important you and your girlfriend know what is involved, including the risks and side effects. Whether by pill or surgery, abortion side effects can include abdominal pain, fever, vaginal discharge, and bleeding.
- Perforation of the uterus
- Damage to cervix
- Scar tissue on uterine wall, which can “make it hard to get pregnant” in the future
- Tissue remaining in the uterus
- Blood clots
- Pain in abdomen, chest, breasts, muscles, back and joints
- Gastrointestinal bleeding
- Uterine rupture, which increases with gestational age
Many studies have identified other long-term risks with abortion, including:
- An analysis of dozens of studies concluded that induced abortion was an “independent risk factor for preterm birth” (PTB).
- Many peer-reviewed and published medical studies accordingly have shown a link between induced abortion and an increased risk of breast cancer.
- Studies have concluded that abortion has “increased risk of mental health disorders.”
- A woman getting an abortion without knowing her blood’s “Rh factor” could jeopardize future pregnancies.
In conclusion, you’re not alone in this journey. At Waterleaf Women’s Center, we offer no-cost pregnancy testing and ultrasound, and no insurance is required. At your girlfriend’s appointment, you’ll have the opportunity to speak with licensed medical professionals about your questions and concerns. Call or text us confidentially today at 630-360-2256 or through our online form. We are here to help you!