If you believe that you are pregnant and considering the abortion pill, take the steps outlined below to protect your health.
What Can Disqualify Me from Getting an Abortion Pill?
According to the Mayo Clinic, there are pre-existing health conditions that could disqualify you from obtaining the abortion pill, such as, if you:
- Are too far along in the pregnancy
- Use an intrauterine device (IUD)
- Have allergies to the drugs used in the abortion pill
- Have a medical condition such as heart, blood vessel, liver, kidney, or lung diseases
- Suspect ectopic pregnancy (a pregnancy outside of your uterus)
- Use blood thinners or steroid medications
Schedule a Pregnancy Test
It’s important to verify that you are actually pregnant instead of relying on common symptoms, such as, tender, swollen breasts or a missed period. Make sure that you are using a quality-controlled, lab-grade pregnancy test.
At Waterleaf Women’s Center, we offer lab-quality pregnancy testing at no cost.
Get an Ultrasound
- The location of your pregnancy. If your pregnancy has implanted anywhere outside the uterus you could have an ectopic pregnancy. In this instance, you would be advised to seek immediate medical attention.
- The gestational age is determined by measuring the dimensions of the pregnancy. The abortion pill can be dangerous to you if your pregnancy is farther along than you may think. The FDA approves of the abortion pill up to 70 days (10 weeks). Abortion pill risks are higher the farther along you are in your pregnancy. Risks include: need for surgical intervention, increased abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, vaginal bleeding, or more severe complications. The ultrasound provides you with an accurate gestational age so you can make the best decision for you.
- The viability of your pregnancy. If a heartbeat cannot be detected, it is possible you may naturally miscarry. In this case, you would be advised to follow up with your physician, and you would avoid an unnecessary abortion procedure.
At Waterleaf, we offer no-cost ultrasounds so you can confirm the location, age, and viability of your pregnancy.
Schedule an STI Screening
STD testing is especially important for women considering abortion. Undiagnosed STI’s, particularity chlamydia and gonorrhea, can increase your long-term risks. No matter what type of abortion is performed, the cervix must open for the pregnancy to leave the body. When this happens, the bacteria can move up into the uterus, increasing the risk of Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, or PID. PID can result in an increased risk of ectopic pregnancy, infertility, and chronic pain.
At Waterleaf, we offer no-cost, medical-grade STI testing.
At Waterleaf Women’s Center, we offer no-cost services, including pregnancy testing, viability ultrasounds, STI testing and treatment, and option consultations.
If you’ve taken the first abortion pill and changed your mind or aren’t sure about continuing, learn more about Abortion Pill Reversal here.
We are here to make sure you feel supported and have the answers you need to make your decision with confidence. Contact us today by filling out the form on this page or call/text us confidentially at 630-360-2256.